Nov 7, 2012

Best Thing/Worst Thing — One More Thing!

I love you all so much. Thanks for sharing anecdotes about your own challenges, and how you deal. The best way to gain perspective is definitely to shift gears from wallowing in your own misery to feeling empathy for another.

Immediately after posting yesterday I regretted not linking to or mentioning this amazing column in the Atlantic, which ruminates much more eloquently on the subject of trying to be happy with what you've got. The writer has a disabled son, and beautifully reframes the question constantly posed to women today: "Can we have it all?" For those who haven't the time to read it all, here's an excerpt:

When I look at friends and acquaintances, many with perfectly beautiful children and wonderful lives, and see how desperately unhappy or stressed they are about balancing work and family, I think to myself that the solution to many problems is deceptively obvious. We are chasing the wrong things, asking ourselves the wrong questions. It is not, "Can we have it all?" -- with "all" being some kind of undefined marker that shall forever be moved upwards out of reach just a little bit with each new blessing. We should ask instead, "Do we have enough?"

I highly recommend reading it. I have it bookmarked and go back to it when I need a reminder that my life is not too terrible (and in fact is often pretty great). Maybe we can have it all — just maybe not all at once. So the regularly scheduled date nights and Pinterest-perfect decor will just have to wait a while. (Of course, the question still remains: Whither the articles on whether men can have it all? But that's a question for another day.)

I also need to thank Rachel of My Messings for nominating me for the One Lovely Blog Award! I've never been nominated for one of these inter-blogger pat-on-the-back awards, so I really appreciate the shout-out. The idea is to pass it on, showing your appreciation for others. Hopefully my picks haven't already participated in this particular award...if they have, I won't be offended if they neglect to pass it on. We can't do it all, after all!

The rules for the One Lovely Blog Award are as follows:


  • Thank the person who nominated you and link back to him/her in your post. 
  • Share 7 things about yourself.
  • Nominate 15 bloggers you admire. (That's a lot, isn't it?!)
  • Leave a comment on each of these blogs letting them know they’ve been nominated.


The seven things appear to be wide open, so here goes:

• I always check out people's butts‚ but not because I'm into asses. I'm obsessed with pocket placement and fit, and am always evaluating what is the best cut/design to trick the eye into believing you have the perfect posterior. 
• I swallow very loudly (according to my husband). Especially when I gulp water in the middle of the night. 
• I was a deckhand one summer during university.
• I've lived in the U.S. for 5 1/2 years, but stubbornly still spell it cheque and pronounce niche so it rhymes with quiche.
•  I yell at cars that cut me off when I'm crossing the street with my kid, so now at age 4 she acts like Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy. I feel a little bad about that. But people need to know how unsafely they're driving! (OK, I am unrepentant, clearly).
• I'm a savant when it comes to Where's Waldo. Also, spelling and grammar errors just jump off the page at me. These two things must be related somehow.
•  I regret never learning an instrument, and hope one day I can take up drums or piano or something else totally impractical for a New Yorker.

So here are my 15 (again, that seems like a lot, right? The chance of these 15 already receiving this award are pretty high, probably). Is it against the spirit of this award to feel bad about asking them to take on the task of posting seven things and collating a list of their 15 faves? I'm a little sensitive to tasking others with one more thing because I often feel like if someone asks one more thing of me, I may just lose it. So my apologies to Rachel, but I'm going to give these ladies and gents the chance to bask in my praise without having to do anything in return:  


I love them all. If you haven't checked them out yet and have the time, please do.

P.S. Best thing about yesterday: Barack Obama was re-elected! The election is over and we can go back to worrying about other things. Worst thing: I fell asleep before the acceptance speech, and missed seeing Michelle Obama in what I'm sure was a very lovely dress.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for that link to the Atlantic. Yes yes yes. deep breath and sigh.
    O you lovely blogger you! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with the bare necessities, so I appreciate all that I have now that much more. My man kind of shakes his head at me when I tell the kids that we are rich because we own a house and can eat anything we want and can travel the world and give money to other people that need it. That was his normal growing up and he doesn't realize it isn't the normal for everyone.

    Election! I was watching it until 1:30am, when I got too tired of waiting for Mittens to give in. When I woke up this morning, I opened my laptop and I realized I had closed it about 5 seconds before the Obamas took the stage! crap.

    Thanks for the link - I don't think I have 7 things left to share because I've taken to oversharing online lately. Lack of shame comes with age I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The speech was just as good the day after (though the rah rah American boosterism always leaves me a little cold. I did love how he ended it. Yay for equality!

      Delete
  3. I missed your post yesterday. Sending you and your little family positive vibes.. Thank you for sharing and thank you also for the link to the Atlantic column. It really put things in perspective for me. :)
    Anyways, my 2yo is keeping me from writing long, as usual, wanting to watch Caillou on the pc, so he's saving me from making more grammar and spelling error...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Bless you for listening to Caillou's irritating voice.

      Delete
  4. You're the sweetest, and I'm totally flattered. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, you're a doll. Thanks for the nomination! I was hooked on your blog from the very first grammatical error-free sentence I read of it, many moons ago. I always look forward to your posts because I know they'll contain a new cute garment or at least an LOL-worthy musing on parenting. :):):)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...