Apr 6, 2013

Finished! Peg Bundy-style Leopardish Print Pants

I'm in a bit of a snit right now, mad at myself for not trusting my instinct to make a contoured waistband. Because I went ahead and followed Kenneth King's instructions for drafting and sewing a straight waistband (using steam and heat to create a curve), but it does not look good.

Now I am going to have to unpick the waistband for a second time (the first time I applied it, it looked terrible, so I redid it once already), which I'm really worried will end up distorting the top of the pants. These are the things that keep me up at night.

I took photos this morning because I am going to wear them tonight anyway. I'm going out for dinner with some friends to celebrate my birthday (which was April Fool's Day, no joke), and that nearly never happens, so I want to dress cool. (Peg Bundy was cool, right?):




I loved them paired with my burnished gold oxfords, to play up the menswear-inspired tuxedo pant details (which are kind of hard to see, but I know they're there and I love them). And in reality, the waistband doesn't matter all that much. I don't wear cropped shirts. No one will see it. Here's a reluctant back view:



Here's the leather trimmed pocket detail:



I know you care to know more about the waistband debacle, so here's a pic of the straight waistband, after I curved it using heat and steam (from my iron, obvs. I'm not a dragon):


Pretty curved, right? I think for many women, this would totally work fine. But I have a round butt, and the waistband sits pretty low on these pants, so I definitely need a more curved waistband. In the spirit of full disclosure (because this is a teachable moment), here's my back view so you can see the problem. It gapes a little all along the length of the back waistband, and does a weird little pucker thing right at centerback. That could be due to distortion caused by picking it out once already. I'll probably have to take a little extra out at center back now. Sigh:



But, like I said, I am wearing them tonight anyway. And I will fix them eventually. I just may need a stiff drink to do it without falling into a funk. Also, I think I may turn to David Coffin's trouser book for advice on how to face a curved waistband, and use petersham to give it more stability. I would like to wear these with my head help high eventually. For now, the botched waistband can be our little secret:


34 comments:

  1. Well, live and learn, right? I hate when I second-guess myself and it backfires. But at least this is fixable and totally unnoticeable with your top. Have a great time tonight!

    Oh, and I thought Peg and Kelly's outfits were the COOLEST when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazing!! What is this fabric?? I'm glad you'll wear them out anyway. It's not noticeable. I love the details, too!

    Have fun and happy belated bday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a stretch cotton from hartsfabric.com. 10/
      Yard!!

      Delete
  3. Sorry the steamed and curved waistband turned out to be a bummer!!

    For extra curvies like you and me, I guess we 'need' the curve and structure that the contour waistband can provide.

    The pants look darn cool. Glad you can still go back and fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pants are pretty sweet. You look great in them and I hope you have a great time celebrating your birthday.

    I also need a curved waistband, but I've found that the curve has to be pretty specifically shaped (tighter where it comes across the hip from back to front and then straighter toward center front) so a general steamed curve wouldn't work for me, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right about why this didn't work. The curve is the same all around. ...but I need more curve a at center back and none at center front.

      Delete
  5. I am loving the print of those pants though. Haha you're a much better sewer than me! I probably would have left the waistband and only worn those pants with long shirts.... I am getting better though! Slowly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would too if they didn't end up sliding down...I need a better band to keep them up, so my good fit is maintained. It will be worth the effort, I hope!

      Delete
  6. They look great! Peg Bundy would definitely approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would pair the pants with heels and a tight, cleavage-baring top.... maybe for s different occasion!

      Delete
  7. Suzanne are you familiar with Jen Sterns? She has jeans patterns that have a curved waist band, her drafting is really terrific. Also I just LOVE this whole look and posted it one of my Pinterest boards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of her, but I will check her out. I have drafted a curved waistband before, but not for stretch fabric, which always is an added challenge for mine. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  8. This pants look great on you! Love, love, love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i love them! the fabric is just perfect, the styling is great, and i really love the leather detail. bummer about the waistband not working out, it looks totally fixable though. i like the idea of a grosgrain facing, i've been meaning to try something like that myself. sometimes when i've unpicked and restitched a few times i run it through the wash before going at it again. that seems to help reshape anything that has been distorted. at any rate, these pants look like a huge success. enjoy the night out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and your pants are looking great! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well they look fantastic! I have no love for straight waistbands either. A petersham facing sounds like a really good idea. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I saw in David Page Coffin's book. You sandwich it between outer and inner bands.

      Delete
  12. They look fab Susanne - and belated happy birthday. Thinking about the waistband the Kenneth King way - I think it would only really work on a waistband that sat quite high, on the natural waist (eg up around your tummy) . When the trousers finish down towards your hip, it seems like you would need a more curved band. I used a cotton type interfacing on the band of my trousers , that were made from fabric with a bit of stretch and the waistband behaves really well. But it's one of those things that no-one will notice, like you said, as everything else is perfect ( I especially love the leather details)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing that booty shot! You are a truly selfless blogger. But seriously these pants are delicious and when that waist band is fixed they will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for appreciating how truly awful it is too ask your husband to take a photo of your butt!

      Delete
    2. There have been times when my husband has refused to take photos of my butt out of love for me. Le sigh. LOL

      Delete
  14. Seriously LOVE these pants. But I would have the same problem with the waist. Totally understand! Happy happy bday - you are fabulous! Meee-ow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What pattern did you use? Great fit and great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the pattern from a pair of ready to wear pants I own and love. I used kenneth king's craftsy.com "jeanius" class to learn how to make an exact copy.

      Delete
  16. They look fabulous! :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look great!! I hope you had a great night out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the pants! You're totally rocking them. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pants turned out great! Too bad the waistband didn't turn out as you hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those pants are too cool for skool. Absolutely love them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...