Apr 23, 2013

His and Hers Plaid Separates!

My apologies for the cellphone photos, but I'm trying to make it easier on myself to post regularly. Plus I wanted to share this prototype version of the Tiny Pocket Tank, which I modified to add a full-length button placket. I love the cut of this simple tank, but I thought it needed some visual interest:


If you've been reading my blog for some time, than that print may look familiar. It's a remnant from a short-sleeve Western style men's shirt I made my lucky husband Ryan. He's such a sweet man. He even agreed to let me take a pic of us together in our His-and-Hers shirts:

Wow. We look equally tired. 
Of course once I sewed a couple tank tops, the temperature dropped precipitously in NYC, so those of you who live in the Big Apple can blame me for the Spring backtracking.

Adding a button placket to the Tiny Pocket Tank is pretty damn easy. You just re-trace the front pattern piece, and then use your ruler to draw two lines parallel to center front, each one inch apart. Then you fold it on the lines and use a tracing wheel to true the top curve. When you're sewing, fold and then fold over again on the lines and topstitch. Voila: insta-placket ready for buttons.


I have since added some ease to the hip (as always; I have to do the pear-shape-girl alterations), and have drafted a 4 & 1/2-inch placket for another version of this tank, which I'm sewing from the navy deer-and-dot print cotton I picked up at Mood last weekend. It's very sheer, and behaves like silk, so I'm thinking it may be a blend. It will definitely require some layering, as I'm not one for letting my bra show through. (Well, maybe for that lucky man pictured above — but not amongst the general population. I am a Lady!).

Have any of you done other variations to this simple pattern by Grainline? I'm thinking of making one with a yoke and color-blocking. What else can you think of?

14 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you were behind this weather thing...

    Love the matching outfit -- not overly matchy-matchy since they're different garments -- totally cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure we will never wear these on the same day!

      Delete
  2. you two are completely adorable in your matching shirts! a color blocked version would be nice, and i love your addition of the button placket. i'll probably steal that idea at some point. barely made it to 40 degrees here today, it seems as if winter broke only to throw us back into fall... mother nature, get it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I've been thinking of tracing a similar style from an old 90s burda mag - (way less lines on the old pattern sheets). It's a great shape for casual summer wear. Could be nice if done shorter in front hem than back hem maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! I was thinking of doing the same thing to the Scout tee but I was going to make a separate placket. Your method seems much more simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A seperate placket would be good if you wanted to do a contrasting color or print.... that would look cool!

      Delete
  5. Oh! I love the button feature and also the checks- it's all kinds of awesome! A centre front seam could also work if you have striped fabric to make a chevron effect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look very cute together:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this pattern! I've made it twice as is (except a slightly higher neckline) and I have tons more planned with buttons down the back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the lucky man seems to be checking out your bootay in that last shot.

    i don't know if i should tell you this... but it would appear your puke print is on sale at mood (online):
    http://www.moodfabrics.com/index.php?file=productdetail&iprod_id=16372&icat_id=2,1,3,12,29,23&icatidntr=&icatidwtr=&icatidwbt=&icatidwnewtr=&icatidwac=&shortdes=&passtype=&vcolor=&vpattern=&vapplication=&pricerange=&onsale=&newarrival=&custfav=&closeout=&wholesale=&pagelimit=24&page=1&keyword=save_half_of_2_cotton_prints&topmatmsvalms=&vbrand=

    GOOD LORD that link is ridiculous. there's no way this comment isn't getting tagged as spammed, but i'll try anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I saw that. Ugh. The fabric looks AWFUL in the thumbnail pic!

      But you didn't get tagged as Spam!

      Delete
  9. Love your tank top! I love shirts and tank tops with this silhouette. And you added the plaid factor. Sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great! I love the button placket going all the way down. I was thinking of doing one with a button placket in the back, although maybe my hair would get tangled in the buttons, hmm... Natty Jane did a cute variation a while back with a split back:

    http://nattyjanesews.blogspot.com/2013/01/split-back-tiny-pocket-tank-tutorial.html?showComment=1358105712777#c7328031733057857466

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...