Mar 27, 2014

Optimism — It's What's On My Sewing Table This Week

 This week in New York City, where it still feels just like January, this is what passes for optimism:

Yellow fabric for Spring pants!
 I bought this pale yellow cotton from Mood NYC a few weeks back during the LLadybird meetup. It was in the denim section, though it's a little lighter weight than that. I love this color for a pair of cropped pants, made from the pattern I drafted using Kenneth King's Jeanius Craftsy class. It will be my third pair of pants from this pattern, which I have modified since my last pair, reducing the front rise (and adding to the back, because in patternmaking if thou takest away, though must also giveth lest thou dare exposeth one's buttcrack).

Checking the fit with one leg
It's been a while since I have sewn a zipper fly, so I consulted with my Kenneth King video to make sure I got it right on my first third try.


Likewise, it has been a while since I've sewn a welt, so I consulted this tutorial once again.



I am very curvy through the hip, so I do not mess around when it comes to waistbands. Mine is a four-piece curved waistband, reinforced with petersham (that idea came from David Page Coffin's trouser book):


I'm taking a break from finishing details (oh, how I hate sewing belt loops!) to do some stretch sewing, including mommy and me raglan Tees:




What's on your sewing table? Anything optimistic? (A bathing suit perhaps?) Or are you practical and sewing a parka for April?

15 comments:

  1. Your pants are looking great and those are two lovely tops. No, I'm not making a bathing suit (think of me in that) but, I'm working on a trench coat and preparing for my MAGAM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled MAGAM and still have no idea....do tell!

      Delete
  2. I spy a fabric I saw when I met you. I love what you've done with them!

    Interesting that you use Petersham in the waistband. I just used a new technique for a straight cut WB using a tutorial by Susan Khalje. Due to bulk, I ended up not using Petersham in mine, but I believe it does wonders for stabilization!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if I didn't need it, I would not use it — but it really helps keep a waistband from stretching and losing shape. I could only wear a straight waistband right at my true waist.

      Delete
  3. I'm working on the black denim skirt with the fabric I bought on the same day with your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Hopefully you'll be wearing it with cute shoes — and not winter boots! — soon.

      Delete
  4. That's a great idea (the ribbon). I've used twill tape before but it's a bit bulky. Lovely colour - coming into autumn I've just compiled my autumn-winter sewing list. Not looking forward to the cold but am looking forward to making a 60's inspired red wool shift dress! And some fine black cord slim trousers. And oh about 15 other things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the yellow pants! those will look amazing. right now i'm working on a cordova jacket... it's *almost*warm enough to need a jacket. i'm about to closet the winter coat on principle, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely sewing for a Spring. Not sleeveless projects yet, but I have definitely graduated to short sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! I gave up and am totally sewing for summer. I am knocking off a Jil Sander white shirt dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm working I on a lightweight printed rayon dress. Short sleeves! Spring can get here any time. I'm ready for an end to the late-March snow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, these are looking great! I can't wait to see them! I'm completely out of optimism- I pre-washed a fun, summery geometric print earlier this week, then the weather went totally to shit. I just want to curl up in a corner until May!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "...if thou takest away, though must also giveth lest thou dare exposeth one's buttcrack." Words to live by! I love the summery yellow. Spring is arriving here but it's still not super warm. I am so ready to be able to wear short sleeves. Love those raglan tees, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I love those yellow pants, I hope they turn out exactly as desired. I have to say, I only disagree with KK in that Jeanius class in two or three spots, but the waistband is certainly one of them. I don't know if his iron can do magical things that mine can't but I don't like the waistband on the jeans I made with his method. The raglan tees are just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...